Monday, June 15, 2009

Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Noah "Bud" Ogle Nature Trail 6/15/2009


Tub Mill


Mossy Rocks


Log Bridge



Noah "Bud" Ogle Cabin



Noah "Bud" Ogle Cabin

Before arriving here in Gatlinburg, I ordered a copy of a book from Kevin Adam's called "Hiking Great Smoky Mountains National Park". This is a great book that categorizes hikes for "those training to be Navy Seals" and those "training to be couch potatoes". (I love the way the author broke down these categories).

I was looking for a short nature trail hike that I could take the kids on. I picked the Noah "Bud" Ogle Nature Trail. It is a short 0.75 mile trail, that the author listed as one of the best in the park for the distance. A lot is packed in this short hike.

There is plenty of parking at the trailhead, but there are no restrooms or water here. Make sure these are taken care of before arriving.

When I walked it with the family, we walked it in reverse, since we were drawn to the barn and cabin right away. After we explored these, we walked the loop trail clockwise.

There are a few neat log bridges over streams, and the trail runs through several clusters of large rocks.

Along the LeConte Creek is the Ogle Tub Mill, which I have added some pictures from on this page.

No comments: