Saturday, December 12, 2009

Zionsville Rail Trail 12/12/2009

I had a short day at work today, so I decided to get some walking in on a trail that I have never been on before.  When I Googled "Indiana trails", the top result is a website called http://www.indianatrails.org/  This is an excellent website with information on many trails here in Indiana.  It looks like there is a plan in place to interconnect various trails in the state, which will be great when done.  After a brief search of the website, I realized that the Zionsville Rail Trail is very close to the hotel I am staying at.

I have been working some long hours the last cople of months, and I have not been able to do any hiking or backpacking.  I am trying to stay in shape, but it is always a struggle where I jhave to set a side a block of time in my crazy schedule.

I drove to Starkey Park, which is a 77 acre park in Zionsville, Indiana that is named after Lucile Starkey who bequeathed a large section of the land to the Town in 1974 for use as a nature park.It is a very beautiful park with several connecting nature trails.

There are two separate trails with steep wooden stairs that lead down to Eagle Creek.  From here, it is a short distance to a massive boardwalk that has a long ascent to the rail trail.  The trail starts from here.  There is a nice picnic spot and view from the top of the old railroad bridge that overlooks Eagle Creek.  I took a few pictures of Eagle Creek over the top of the fence on the bridge before heading north on the trail.  I only had the Blackberry 8300 for taking pictures, so they are not as good as I normally take with a better camera.

The southern 1 mile of the rail-trail, is also called the Nancy Burton Trail.  It passes the small Nancy Burton park, which has a porta potty for those who are curious about where the restroom facilities are located.  The southern 1 mile of trail is covered with crushed limestone, which I happen to prefer over the paved trail any day.  It is very nice to walk on.  It also would not be difficult for bicycling unless it was a very wet day.   The southern part of the trail is up on a large embankment and passes through some beautiful woods.

The northern 2.5 miles of the Zionsville Rail Trail is paved, which I don't like as much as the dirt nature trails or even the crushed limestone, however this is a multi-use trail for bicycles, walkers, runners, etc.  I have had issues with plantar fasciitis in the past, which causes terrific heel pain. I now wear some good New Balance walking shoes with Powersteps arch supports, and have not had any problems for a few years now.

I have to admit I am one of those people that gets all tingly when I am on a trail.  I really love being outdoors.  It puts me in a zone, and is not only health exercise, it really helps the mind also.  When I have more time, I would like to explore this trail further north.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello, my name is Pamela Evans and my husband is Joshua Evans, the grandson of Lee and Nancy Burton. My husband was wanting it to be known that his grandfather, Lee A. Burton, donated the land in memory of his late wife, Nancy Burton. He wanted the park to carry her name so that she would always be remembered. She was an amazingly wise women who was the strength and stability of her family. Since joining the family I have heard numerous times that Ms. Nancy was a "true lady", with sophistication, hospitality and grace unmatched. But what some don't know is that she was also extremely witty. She always knew just what to say in any given circumstance. She could make you feel at home, laugh or even set you in your place if need be. Her giving nature is a lesson book to us all. She would give you her full attention, her time, her love, her sympathy and even her pocket book in times of need. Her beauty ran deeper than her skin. Yes, she was a gorgeous women but her personality and heart were just as beautiful. She is extremely loved and missed everyday. Words can not do her justice so I will end my memorial. Thank you for your mention of her park and for letting me say a few things about this incredible Lady, dear daughter, sweet wife, loving mother, and "awesome grandmother".