Saturday, May 3, 2008

Winton Woods Harbor Trail 5/3/2008

Winton Lake

The closed bridge

The bridge is closed ove the lake

Harbor Trail

Today was one of those unexpected days when you don't have any plans to go hiking, since the day is already filled up with a track meet, etc. Well, the heavy rain took care of the track meet, and someone volunteered to watch the kids for a couple of hours. All of a sudden out of nowhere, a rare window of opportunity.

I considered going to Miami Whitewater Forest, but I knew my time was limited. I settled on Winton Woods, since it is close, and I have not walked the wooded trails there yet this year. Hey, I know it's not the Buckeye Trail, and it sure isn't the AT, CDT or PCT, but when I have to walk, I take what I can get. I need to get my legs and lungs in shape for this summer when I am going to take some time to enjoy some longer hikes. These trails can be nice if you walk enough of them in a day's time.

I wanted to start with a nice walk around Winton Lake on the Harbor Trail. A sign told me that the bridge was closed for repairs. I walked up to the fence and snapped a picture. It looks like this will be closed for awhile. This splits the Harbor Trail in half for now. I walked one half of the Harbor Trail, and then I decided to go walk the wooded trails.

No comments: